Aahh, Earth Day. I love it! For many years now I have been planting a tree on this day every year. I live in an apartment now, boo. So I’ve been thinking of something I can do to show my appreciation for this amazing place I get to live. I want to spread the word about some really great things I love that make me think about the well being of the Earth.
Educating yourself about the issues we face as citizens of this world is so important. No one should walk around numb to the evils around us. For quick and entertaining lessons I recommend watching one or all of these films:
- Flow: For the love of water, because I believe water should not be owned.
- The Future of Food, because you should know what’s in and behind your food. Say no to GMO’s.
- Go Further, because its fun to watch and Woody really believes, like I do, that one person can make a difference.
- No Impact Man: The Documentary, I love this documentary because the wife is so real and unscripted. You really see her change.
There are tons of great documentaries out there, these are just a few I thought you may not have seen. They may open your eyes to some major problems.
Here are some other things you can do to make the world a better, cleaner place:
- Don’t forget your grocery bags at home! We should all know by now that plastic bags are horrible for the environment. And a lot of retailers are now giving a little credit on your purchase if you bring your own bag. Canvas is great for big shopping trips while bags like these fold up really small so you can stash them in your purse for all those unplanned stops. Also use your own cup when buying coffee, smoothies, etc.
- Don’t leave your phone charger in the wall.
- Vote with your dollar, buy organic and local when available.
- Buy used. You can buy almost everything on amazon used. So if you have a huge wishlist like I do, it is actually feasible when you buy used items that are usually more than half off. My most recent amazon used purchase: Make Your Place: Affordable & Sustainable Nesting Skills it’s a great little book that can help you make your own cleaners, body care products and such. You are wasting your money on commercial crap like carpet stain removers.
- Go Vegetarian for a day every once in a while (or for life :)) If you do eat meat, make sure it was treated well and given the food it naturally eats.
- If you’re a Mom with a baby use cloth diapers like bummis or Kissa’s. We sell both brands at Kidz N More in Garberville, CA, check your local baby boutique.
- Plant trees, they are our natural air purifiers.
- Try out Blackle, it’s Google but saves energy. It takes more energy to power a white screen than it does a black one. This site is my home page.
I could go on and on, but I’ll stop here. Please feel free to post a comment about what you and your family do for the environment. I’d like to hear from you. And please, go outside today and enjoy Mother Earth. Have a great day and remember: “Be the change you wish to see in the world”~ Gandhi